[newbie] Translating rt2500 installation instructions

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jan 10 11:50:36 UTC 2005

yetanothermuso wrote:
> That is where I'm at. I don't understand how that relates to the
> second line in the instructions, "cp ../2.6.x/Makefile ." As far as I
> can tell, the syntax of the cp statement needs a from and a to
> directory.

There is a "from" (../2.6.x/Makefile) and a "to" (.). In Unix/Linux, a
dot represents the current directory. Actually that applies in
DOS/Windows too. So it's asking to to change into the STA/Module
directory and copy in the Makefile for a 2.6.x kernel.

> There is a makefile in the /STA/Module directory. Is it
> asking me to overwrite the Makefile in the kernel which is for me
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.10 ?

It's asking you to copy in the Makefile for a 2.6.x kernel version of
the module you're trying to build into the STA/Module directory (wasn't
that part of the source you downloaded?).

Paul.