PHP mail() w/ postfix problem in FC3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Jan 10 16:33:40 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 10.01.2005 schrieb Nathaniel Price um 17:21:

> I recently did a clean install of FC3 on a server that was running RH8.
> There were a number of PHP scripts that I had configured to send out
> email for notices or passwords or the like. However, now that I've
> upgraded I can't send mail through the mail() command in PHP.
>
> My problem is exactly like what I found here, but unfortunately that
> question was left unanswerd:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-December/msg06708.html
>
> To summarize, I have no problem sending email via SMTP (one of the apps
> I run has the option to choose between using PHP mail() or using it's
> own SMTP client). Whenever I try to send mail with mail(), apache logs
> the following error:
>     sendmail: fatal: chdir /var/spool/postfix: Permission denied
> Postfix logs nothing.
>
> I have checked the permissions on the /var/spool/postfix directory, and
> they seem to be in order:
>     drwxr-xr-x  16 root   root    4096 Nov 23 05:11 postfix
>
> php.ini is configured with:
>     sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
>
> /usr/sbin/sendmail is a link to /etc/alternatives/mta which is a link to
> /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix. All of these are world readable and executable.
>
> This setting is not overriden anywhere else (tested with phpinfo()).
>
> Does anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it? If not, is there a
> drop-in replacement for the sendmail command that will just forward the
> request to postfix via SMTP?

> Nathaniel

The "problem" is SELinux. You will find audit / avc messages in the
/var/log/messages syslog log file when you get above mentioned
permission denied message in the Apache log. This is because Apache is
not allowed to use the Postfix sendmail binary.

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-apache-fc3/

Else, if above does not help to modify the default policy, I would think
the question may be best asked on the

Fedora SELinux support list for users & developers.
<fedora-selinux-list at redhat.com>

mailing list - if this posting does not come to the real SELinux
professionals' attention.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:28:17 up 18 days, 19:12, load average: 0.44, 0.48, 0.54