linux equivalent for MS sharepoint?

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 01:46:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:43:41 -0500, Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org> wrote:
> On Monday 10 January 2005 09:03, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   what would folks recommend as a substitute for microsoft sharepoint?
> > from the poking around i've done, it seems that one group recommends
> > something as simple as a wiki, while another camp says "zope".  any
> > other options?
> >
> > rday
>
> The answer depends on which part of the Sharepoint hairball you want to
> replace... Sharepoint is the App equivalent of Active Directory - a bunch of
> unrelated technologies bastardized and thrown together in one app...
>
> If you look for a portal, use zope, postnuke or any of the other thousand
> portals out there... if you look for colaboration on text documents you have
> to go with a wiki implementation. If you're just looking for a place to share
> docs the way you have it in sharepoint the answer is unfortunately doesn't
> exist...
>
> What exactly are you trying to do?
>
> Peter.

>> What exactly are you trying to do?

Exactamundo.  I guess this just shows how, in the Linux/UNIX world, it
is better to run multiple apps, that are actual stable good apps, than
some crappy app that promises the moon, is flaky and expensive, and
gets more expensive as you go along.  Microsoft's biggest marketing
slime always says how everything makes for more and better
'collaboration' and 'sharing'.  I don't believe 10% of what I read
from them anymore.

The best wikis/blog/CMS apps I have seen, have ALL been open source.
If there is a 'one microsoft way' to do any of that, I don't want any
part of it!

I think I just got something.  Thanks, guys.

Marc