system-config-packages Can Not Find Installed Packages

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 04:30:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:45:16 -0500 (EST), William Hooper
<whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Kam Leo said:
> > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:32:11 -0500 (EST), William Hooper
> > <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> >> Gee, this sounds familiar.
> >>

> > Sure is.
>
> I said it earlier.

It was also stated in other posts/topics, not just the thread of this thread.

> > It's been quoted many times in other threads.  But I believe
> > it is worth repeating: "In order to install some packages you may need to
> > downgrade/replace newer packages!"
>
> That last part is only if you are using third party repos that aren't
> keeping up with Fedora Core.

> >> And so does this.
> >>

> > Yes, again.  However, you didn't advise the OP to use smart to resolve
> > and ameliorate the downgrade/replacement task ahead.
>
> I guess I just haven't drank the "smart" kool-aid yet.  Downgrading
> packages (and potentially reverting security updates) just doesn't sound
> like something I want my dep manager to be doing.  Besides, the OP is
> talking about just Fedora Core packages.

The OP enabled the pre-extras repo which if I'm not mistaken is
fedora.us.  How many of the pre-extras packages did he install?

> There shouldn't be much
> downgrading involved and all the deps are consistent, so the choice of dep
> solving tool won't matter much beyond personal preference.
>
> > An interactive gui
> > application is much better than iterating through numerous rpm dependency
> > outputs.
>
> Yum and up2date do a good job for me.

Until you stray away from Fedora Core.