[Fedora] Re: Unable to boot my machine

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Jan 11 07:19:38 UTC 2005

Richard Crawford wrote:

> Okay, I'll go crawl back into my hole now.
>
> Earlier, I'd tried to create a boot floppy before reading the
> information that said that the FC3 kernel is too big to fit on a
> single floppy.  Stupidly, I'd left that floppy in the floppy drive,
> and forgotten about it before rebooting the computer, but the BIOS
> still boots from the floppy after the CD-ROM drive but before the hard
> drive.
>
> So I'm guessing it's time for me to get a brain transplant, and then
> go to bed.  Sorry for wasting the bandwidth.

    Don't feel bad.  It happens to the best of us.  About ten years ago,
I was working on two machine I had sitting in my office.  Both identical
boxes connected on a KVM, one mouse/keybd/monitor.  Anyway, I needed to
copy a file to a floppy for my then wife so in went a floppy and when I
tried to mount it ... no go.  So I tried another floppy, and another,
and another.  Nothing.  By then I figured the floppy drive had gone bad,
so I went out and bought a new one - back then they ran about $50 for a
floppy drive.

    I got home, removed the cover and replaced the drive.  Hit the power
switch and went to get a drink.  When I returned, I was back at my
prompt ... put a floppy disk in, hit mount and same deal.  I got pissed
off.  So it's not the drive, and I can't have ALL my floppies go bad at
once, so it's something else.  I tore the damned machine apart,
literally, piece by piece.  The cat got locked in the bathroom because I
didn't need him wandering over computer parts either.

    Anyway, after a good 2 hours or so of ripping things apart and
trying to figure out what in the world could be wrong, Wifey comes in,
stands by the door and calmly asks: if you have that machine all spread
on the floor there, with all the pieces taken apart .. how come you
still have a prompt on your screen?

    You get the idea.

--
H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6