wireless Again...Can't Connect

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 19:51:53 UTC 2005

if i try to use the wireless tools  cmds   to connect to my AP i cant connect
if i get connected as how i've been doing it (Which sucks)
1. after a reboot, open a terminal window su -  and type in   iwconfig
eth1 essid XXXXXXXXX key XXXXXXXXXX  i don't hit enter yet
2. i have a network monitor on my panel  i click it and click the
configure button it then shows me the devices availible to me. i click
my wireless device  and click the activate button.
3. i switch back to the terminal window, hit enter, and then switch
back to the pop-up window that is trying to activate my device.
4. i'm connected to my AP
Now, if i try to connect without using the above steps  i get this
error  (all in the terminal)
[root at JimsNotebook ~]# ifup ifcfg-wireless essid XXXXXXXXXXX key XXXXXXXXXXXX
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.

Determining IP information for eth1.../sbin/dhclient-script:
configuration for eth1 not found. Continuing with defaults.
************************************8
it contiues to try to connect, and finally it will say that it
couldn't ping the AP
So i revert back to my original steps above, and that also will not
work til i reboot.  I've even tried to stop the network, then restart
it.
is this a bug i should report, or is my ifcfg-eth1 file not working?
what a bout the sbin/ stuff as well?
--

Still Learning Linux
Still HaTE Microsoft