Palm, Fedora Core 3 and Jpilot

Robert Hart hartr at interweft.com.au
Tue Jan 11 23:14:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 14:17 +0100, gaetan yavorsky wrote:
> Are you sure that the /dev/pilot has been created ???
> For me, it didn't work.

/dev/pilot is created as a link pointing to the USB port. I don't know
what permissions are on the USB port itself (which will determine my
permissions as these override the link permissions) as I can't see where
the port is actually created!

Anyone know where these 'on the fly' USB ports actually live so I can
look to see what permissions are on it???

Looking in /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions I see the
following...but am not sure how entries are selected (ie where the
string 'pilot' comes from to trigger these settings).

# pilot/palm devices
pilot:root:uucp:0660

In /etc/udev/rules.d/10-visor.rules I have

BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="Palm Handheld*", KERNEL="ttyUSB*",
SYMLINK="pilot"

which suggests that, as the /dev/pilot symlink is created everything is
working properly, except that there does appear to be a permissions
issue, given the jpilot error message...

   pi_bind Invalid argument
   Check your serial port and settings
   Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
   Finished