FC3: kernel-i586 vs. i686

Erich Noll enoll1 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 02:48:39 UTC 2005

Hi,

I installed FC3 from the cd images I pulled from the BitTorrent, which
all seemed to work fine and the machine seems to work well.  It shows
i686 when I do uname -a (Compaq 5610, PII-350 Mhz).  After getting the
machine loaded from the CD images, I pulled the updates for the rpms I
had installed and rpm -Uv the updates, all is well.

My question has to do with the difference between the
kernel-2.6.10-1.737_FC3.i586.rpm and the
kernel-2.6.10-1.737_FC3.i586.rpm , both of which are now available on
the update site.  I tried doing

rpm -Uv  kernel-2.6.10-1.737_FC3.i686.rpm

, but it complained about 3 files belonging to
kernel-2.6.10-1.737_FC3.i586.rpm that I had previously installed.  If it
would help I could get the names of the files but I suspect they're not
germane.  I also tried rpm -iv but it complained about the same 3
dependent files from the i586 rpm.

Finally, I tried to rpm -e  kernel-2.6.10-1.737_FC3.i586.rpm but it
complained about (approximately 10) dependent rpms that I presumably
would have had to -e then -i.

Would there be any (performance?) advantage to installing the i686
kernel rpm or is rpm trying to prevent me from stupidly harming the
correct configuration?  If there would be some advantage to getting the
i686 kernel on the machine, how do I go about doing it safely?

TIA

Erich Noll