anaconda: cannot execute binary file

Jackson Pauls j at uklinux.net
Wed Jan 12 10:27:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 00:49 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Jackson Pauls wrote:
> > what worked in the end was under-clocking the CPU. perhaps i should get
> > a new one relatively soon :(
>
> Ouch!
>
> Have you checked that the CPU fan is still working properly?

it's spinning - didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

> Have you checked the temperature in the box?

no and yes. unsure how to get sensor readings in linux, but i have a
case with several fans that should keep the inside temperature pretty
low at all times - checked this a couple times in bios and when i had
windows installed. and for what it's worth, it feels cool.

> I would suggest making sure that the heatsink and fan are properly
> seated on the CPU. But not knowing your level of expertise, I'm sort of
> nervous about doing that. If you get it sufficiently wrong, you could
> damage your motherboard, your CPU, or yourself. (Some heatsinks and fans
> take a lot of pressure to get on properly...)

the problem developed after a year and a half of intensive use on the
same motherboard, and persisted after moving the cpu & fan to a
different motherboard.

> What sort of CPU do you have, anyway?

amd 2600 (core clock 2000 now clocked at 1900).

i guess it could be the cpu fan rather than the cpu - but testing
hardware will have to wait until i finish my current burst of work.

best,

Play Alienballs at www.j.uklinux.net