How to improve performance? (starter)

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Jan 13 21:51:05 UTC 2005

Alexandre Vernille wrote:

> I would like to adopt Fedora2 / 3 as my preffered OS at home. However
> I need first to improve its performance on my machine (an AMD K6_2
> with 128 MB RAM).
> Mozilla is taking 20 sec to load, OpenOffice applications even longer.
> On the System Monitor, it looks like the RAM is too busy...
> Any hints or sites where I could find the basics on improving
> performance? Should I try another Linux?

1-Add more RAM. Go to 256M at least.
2-Turn off services you don't use or need.
3-Upgrade to a K6-III+ chip if your motherboard supports it.
--
"The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,
but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/