How to improve performance? (starter)

Tony Dietrich td at transoft.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 23:01:45 UTC 2005

On Thursday 13 Jan 2005 22:56, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Tony Dietrich wrote:
> > An AMD K6_2 isn't really fast enough for FC2 either.  Downgrade to RH9.
> > Or get a faster basic system.
>
> I strongly disagree with this.
>
> The core of the operating system is not particularly processor
> intensive. Most of the system, and nearly all of the non-graphical
> stuff, is based on designs that are decades old. In general, the
> requirement for memory has gone up, but the CPU requirements have not
> gone up that much.

I didn't make myself clear.  Sorry
I agree with you .. my point as below is that earlier distributions provided
applications that weren't as capable, thus demanded less from the host
system.
A full GUI install of RH9 imposes less of a load on the CPU than a similar
Fedora installation will, assuming the user makes use of the new generation
Fedora GUI apps on the Fedora installation, but uses RH9 generation apps on
that installation.

--
Tony Dietrich