DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Fri Jan 14 06:42:11 UTC 2005

Seems there are 2 parts in this thread:

1) cyrus is hard to administer/install
2) cyrus has lesser possibilities

...so let me first say, i'm not a guru at all...

to 1) with the rpm's installed cyrus within a few minutes. According to
security-reasons, i changed authentication-db to mysql, this took me
half a day to find the information and furter 5 minutes. Now, my users
do authentication via sasl/mysql - and this make me happy

i offer e-mail to a few friends, my server is a small p3 - and it
performs well. Having quota on the mailboxes is in cyradm a short sq
[quota] user.mailbox. I don't have to fiddle around in maildirs do set
an appopriate quota. Cyradm is also a super-support for the
administration of cyrus.

to 2) FC delivers squirrelmail with. If your users need a webinterface,
it might be your friend, as squirrelmail delivers a quite good
webinterface also for sieve. All my users can handle vacation and
per-folder-filters on their own via webinterface - isn't this service???

to performance i unfortunately cannot tell a lot with about 10 users on
it. What i can say, if i open each morning my mail-client in the office,
connecting to my mailserver at home (having 512 kb upload) it takes
about 2-3 secs for having 250 e-mails to my selection (upload is
finished). So, i personally think Cyrus performs well.

But, as many said before here, i like cyrus another likes dovecot - it's
always a thing of your personal prefers.

I choosed cyrus specially as it works excellent with postfix. And as you
can see, you don't need to be a guru to get this thing up and working.
Not since there are rpm's (from simon matter before and shipped with fc
now) *brrrr* i still remember the times of compling cyrus before...
(think i'm getting antiquary now ;-))

Roger