Sound Blaster Live FC2 Issue

ejbjr ejbjr at themusenashville.com
Fri Jan 14 07:27:58 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:

>Ryan McDougall wrote:
>

>>Ok we are having another problem with the same computer in my post
>>about the CD drives... Anyway this time the sound card does not work.
>>It is a Sound Blaster Live and it got detected on OS install time and
>>the modules are loaded at bootup but no sound is played. We have tried
>>to do the automatic sound card detection but nothing is played when
>>you try to test it said can't open output file /dev/dsp does not
>>exist.
>>

>Usual answer: go to the volume control, and make sure *all* the sliders
>are up. Yes, there are a lot of them.
>
>SB Lives work fine.
>
>James.

Also, check to see if you have '/dev/sound/dsp' or '/dev/sound/dsp0'
instead of '/dev/dsp'.  I'm on an FC1 machine right now, so I can't
check, but I think FC2 is where all the audio device nodes moved into a
sub-directory (sound? asound? snd?).  Since not all audio applications
can be configured for alternate soundcards, or device file locations,
the easiest fix is to link /dev/sound/dsp (or whatever)  to /dev/dsp.

--
e. j. branagan
the MUSE <http://www.themusenashville.com>