Moving a PostgreSQL database from one server to another

Andre Speelmans andre at as.no-ip.com
Fri Jan 14 08:21:19 UTC 2005

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> I'm running it as the user "rpaiz" who owns the database, and this user
> is consistently able to access the database via psql and a password.
> pg_dump is returning nothing.
>
> While we're here, I thought the correct command would be this:
>
> $ pg_dump -ovFc -f flightlog.out flightlog

I personally use:
$ pg_dump -- format c --no-owner database_name > file.out

On the other server I create the database if necessary:
$ createdb database_name

Followed by:
pg_restore --dbname database_name --no-owner file.out

This way has worked as a charm for me every time I used it.

--
Regards,

André