writeprotection of unmounted mountpoints automaitcally - possible??

Alexander Raab alexander.raab at chello.at
Fri Jan 14 13:24:47 UTC 2005

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On 01/14/2005 12:30:29 AM, Alexander Raab wrote:
>
>> Hi, all.
>> Is there a possibility to set the permissons of ummounted
>> mountpoints  to writeprotected?
>> I am coping files very often without checking if a usb-drive is
>> really mounted.
>

> In fc3 the mounting of the drive should be handled by hal, in which
> case the mount point would be created when needed, and otherwise give
> you a "directory don't exist, dude" type of error.
>
> In fc1/2 (and with 3) you can do a similar things using autofs.
>
> I'm not *positive* that hal removes the /media mountpoint when the
> drive is unmounted, it doesn't with cd/dvd - but it should then still
> give you a permission denied error.

I'm using FC3 and I can write to cd, dvd, floppy & usb mountpoints that
are existing but not mounted. KDE checks the mountpoint definied in
fstab and mtab.
So if I poweron the usb-harddisk a new mountpoint is created, but not
automatically mounted.
Sometimes I forget that I've umounted the drive again, but still powered
and so I copy my files again into local harddisk and today "/" has 3GB
more then normally.

Alex