DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Jan 14 15:09:29 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> No exactly.  It's more that
> 1) Cyrus doesn't integrate closely with unix/linux user accounts which
> may or may not be a good thing.  If you are an ISP providing email only
> you may want that.  If you are an office providing file/ftp/print, etc.
> services for all the same users you may double your setup work per user.

Have you read anything from one of my previous mails?  Cyrus integrates
with unix/linux user accounts just fine.  Should you choose to use it
that way.  The default Fedora RPM config is to use unix/linux accounts
(/etc/shadow file, to be more precise) for authentication.

Forward and procmailrc files are Sendmail thing anyhow (or any other
MTA).  IMAP server (Cyrus, Dovecot, whatever) do not have anything to do
with it (they are all processed long before mail is passed towards
mailbox (be it in "standard" Berkely format, maildir, Cyrus, or
something else).

If you use cyrusv2 as local mailer in Sendmail, and you want to continue
using forward files, simply tell Sendmail that there are local user
accounts.  Default for cyrusv2 mailer is no local accounts (therefore,
Sendmail will not search home directories for forward files), but that
is only the default flag that is trivial to change.  I believe this is
described in FAQ.  Again, this is Sendmail issue (or issue of your MTA
of choice, if you are not using Sendmail), not Cyrus issue.  The default
in Sendmail for cyrusv2 mailer is set that way since majority of Cyrus
installations do not have local users accounts.

If you want to continue using procmailrc files, simply keep procmail as
your local mailer.  The only difference is that you'll have to use
deliver program from within procmailrc (as of this writing procmail
can't write directly into the Cyrus mail store).  Since default for
procmail mailer is that local user accounts exist, forward files will be
honored by Sendmail by default in this case.  Yet again, this is
Sendmail issue.

> 2) Cyrus is unlike anything else, so if you replace an existing system
> you will have to re-learn administration and you'll probably break
> things that users have taken for granted for years.

The only granted thing you'll take from them is that they can't write
directly into the mail store whatever way they please anymore.  IMO,
this is a good thing, once implemented.  At least they won't be able to
nuke their mailboxes in the most un-imaginable ways.