FC3/Gnome CD audio question

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 16:11:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:32:02 -0800, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:23:42 -0500, Charles E Taylor IV
> <tomalek at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:11:40 -0800
> > Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >    I've found that a udev update through up2date fixed many of the
> > > problems. Now the CD plays, but still no audio. I've turned up every
> > > option in alsamixer. I enabled the Gnome sound server on start up and
> > > I'm getting system sounds, but no audio from the CD.
> >
> > If this is a new machine (one that you haven't used to play CDs under
> > Linux before), do you actually have an audio cable going from your CD
> > drive to your sound card?  I had that trouble with a machine I built from
> > parts a while back.
> >

> Good question and one I had wondered about myself. I don't know. It's
> an eMachines box that had Windows XP on it but I never booted XP. I
> just assumed it had a cable if that was required. Typically (on my
> machines - this one is my wife's first Linux box) I use alsaplayer
> which plays digitally and I do not have the audio cable. I guess
> gnome-cd doesn't do digital playback?
>
> I'll check the cable, and I'll check shich drive (DVD or CD) has the
> cable. Could be either I suppose.
>
> thanks for the feedback.
>
> - Mark
>
> --

The default cdplayer application doesn't use the analog cable anymore.
 It reads the data directly from the cdplayer over the ide bus.
Unfortunately, I have found some problems with certain cdrom drives,
using this method.  In particular the burners that came with Dell
Dimension's had this problem. The tell tale sign is a bunch of drive
seek errors in dmesg.  The easiest solution I found to fix this
problem was to switch to using goobox as my cdrom player.
http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=531 (sorry no rpms).  In general
I find this a much nicer player.

-Jon