FC3 - i'm disapointed

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Jan 15 02:21:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 12:55 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 11:50 -0600, O'Neill, Donald (US - Deerfield)
> wrote:
> > IIRC NetworkManager is a 3rd party package.  You certainly cannot blame
> > Fedora for problems with other packages.
> >

> Nope, NetworkManager is part of Fedora Core. Really, the problem is
> simply that it is a new package with new capabilities. It's young, and
> "not quite there yet" for some people, including myself... it simply
> won't work properly on my Thinkpad and on my combination of networks.
>
> However, it is also only fair to say that development speed on this
> package has been astonishing, and that it has come very far very
> quickly. I fully expect it to be a much more mature and trouble-free
> part of FC4... for now, it's having some growing pains.
>
> *That* is part of Fedora's philosophy... to accept a little growing
> pains in order to help provide genuinely new and genuinely useful pieces
> of technology or user interface to the Linux community.
>
> Network Manager can easily be disabled and/or removed, and one can work
> with the tools available as of FC2 and earlier with no harm done. So
> those who don't like NM's youth and rough edges do not have to endure
> them, and furthermore will have lost nothing.
>
> The rest of us will, hopefully, help provide feedback to make NM a
> little more mature and useful as quickly as possible.
>
> Cheers,

8( I Guess I need to read the release notes better and dig deeper in the
list of new software installed/available.

[jeff at goliath ~]$ rpm -qa | grep Network
NetworkManager-gnome-0.3.3-1.cvs20050112.1.fc3
NetworkManager-0.3.3-1.cvs20050112.1.fc3

It certainly is installed, but has never been used by me, and in fact is
configured as off in the services. I use static IPs on my home network,
and had never encountered a need for something like that.

I guess from the description it is intended to replace dhcpclient and
the older pump with newer and possibly more features.

Thanks to both you and Alexander for pointing this out to me.

Jeff