DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Sat Jan 15 07:28:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 05:38, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Kevin Fries wrote:

> > file called
> > |

> > | I think you know that's irrelevant for anything using PAM.  Dovecot is
> > | equally capable.
> >
> > I have a mail server that supports approximately 50-60 radio stations
> > across the country with approximately 700 end users.  Because of the
> > dispersant number of users and geographic locations, I have set up a
> > certain number of users at the main office to use Webmin to add accounts
> > to the mail server.  NOBODY is allowed shell access to the box but me,
> > and the Webmin limits these people's access to the add user applet.
> >
> > Despite using system accounts which Aleksandar thinks is unscalable,
> > this setup works perfectly.  As new radio stations come online, we
> > create a simple text file and accounts are created in batch.  As each
> > account is crated, their mail box is set up.
>
> 700 users is nothing.  You will not see any problems with scalability
> with that user base.  Multiply it by 100, and you'll start seening first
> problems.  Go past 100,000, and things get preaty tight.

I agree. 700 is nothing. when we talk about using virtual users, we're
mostly talking about _large_ user bases.

> Before my wife talked me into moving to Canada (and out of all the warm
> places in Canada, Winnipeg was our destination), I've used to work for
> large national ISP where user's were stored in actual /etc/passwd.  Mail
> server worked well until user base got to about 50,000 users on 4-CPU
> Alpha Server running Tru64 Unix (and later cluster of several Alpha
> Servers).  Then, Internet boom hapened, and user base exploded.  Things
> started to slow down drastically with each new user.  Local system
> accounts proved not to be very scalable solution.  In those days, there
> were no out-of-box solutions based on LDAP, like there are today.  So
> what we did back than, we moved all users from shell accounts into
> Oracle database, and made patches for sendmail, procmail, and qpopper to
> work with users that exist only as records inside Oracle SQL database.
> That same 4-CPU Alpha Server that was beginning to be painfully slow,
> all the sudden was capable of hosting several milion mailboxes.  Now,
> that is what I have in mind when I say scalability.
>
> If we were to do it again today, we'd probably simply use LDAP and
> Cyrus, with little development time spent for transition.

You know.. How fast is LDAP compared to using SQL? For one thing, LDAP
is optimised for reads rather than writes.

I would believe that LDAP is more suitable in this case.

Writes are only needed when adding users and that doesn't happen as
often as reads.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz