DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Sat Jan 15 07:28:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 01:42, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 09:09, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > Les Mikesell wrote:
> > > No exactly.  It's more that
> > > 1) Cyrus doesn't integrate closely with unix/linux user accounts which
> > > may or may not be a good thing.  If you are an ISP providing email only
> > > you may want that.  If you are an office providing file/ftp/print, etc.
> > > services for all the same users you may double your setup work per user.
> >
> > Have you read anything from one of my previous mails?  Cyrus integrates
> > with unix/linux user accounts just fine.  Should you choose to use it
> > that way.  The default Fedora RPM config is to use unix/linux accounts
> > (/etc/shadow file, to be more precise) for authentication.
>
> Yes, I've read it and appreciate the detail.  However, it just doesn't
> apply to my situation or what I think is typical for an office setting
> where creating an account/password is a small part of user
> administration. If you apply disk quotas, a Maildir under their home
> directory is automatically included.  A Cyrus mailbox is another step.
> Backing up the home directories will include their mail folders.  Cyrus
> mailboxes will be somewhere else.  Deleting a user account and home
> directory also removes their Maildir mailbox. Removing a Cyrus mailbox
> is a separate step.  When you replace the server, Maildirs come along
> with the other contents of home directories.  And there's probably
> more that I've missed.

See, as mentioned, it depends on situation. If you have only say 50
users, using virtual accounts might be overkill. Esp when you want these
users to also have homedirectories. (like yours)

In most circumstances, ppl choose virtual users because they don't have
to have a lot of users in /etc/passwd, no home directories, etc.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz