CUPS hangs at boot for kernel-2.6.10-1.737 and kernel-2.6.10-1.741

fedora-list at jamesplace.net fedora-list at jamesplace.net
Sat Jan 15 15:05:06 UTC 2005

For:
   kernel-2.6.10-1.737
   and
   kernel-2.6.10-1.741

Installed:
   hal-cups-utils-0.5.2-8
   cups-libs-1.1.22-0.rc1.8.3
   cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.8.3
   libgnomecups-0.1.12-5

I'm having a problem with the CUPS service during the boot process. It hangs
the machine completely.  This is for the last two kernel updates I've
received. (kernel-2.6.10-1.737 and kernel-doc-2.6.10-1.741). Everything else
starts up and is working fine.

(Machine starts up fine under kernel-2.6.9-1.724.)

When I disable CUPS, the boot process works perfectly. However if I, then, try
to start CUPS manually “service cups start” again the machine hangs. No
keyboard, no mouse, no cursor. I am forced to power the machine off to
reboot.

I am currently doing this without starting the X server.

It does not provide any error message and I do not see anything in
the /var/log/* files that gives me a clue. So I guess I'm clueless.

Any ideas/help?

Thanks.