NTFS driver problem

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 17:47:36 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:33:07 -0500, Darren Li <xli.one at gmail.com> wrote:
[reordered]
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:29:31 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> > Am Sa, den 15.01.2005 schrieb Darren Li um 17:15:
> >
> > > Why my NTFS driver dispears after i reboot my FC3.0 everytime? I have
> > > to install the NTFS driver everytime reboot.
> >
> > That can't be the case.
> >
> > How did you install NTFS support? Which kernel?
> > Do you try to auto-mount any NTFS partition?
> > Please provide details about your setup.
> >
> > Alexander
>
> I install like this in FC3.0 :
>
> rpm -ihv  kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.9-1.667-2.1.20-0.rr.3.3.i686.rpm
>
> I did mount myself like this:
>
> mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -t ntfs -r

This is interesting because I cannot keep mine from being mounted : ).
 I have "noauto" specified in my fstab entry, but it still gets
mounted anyway.  I suspect some auto-mounter is mounting it.  No big
deal.
Anyway, you should add a line to /etc/fstab that looks something like this:
/dev/hda1       /mnt/windows     ntfs     defaults,ro 0 0
You probably also want to add ",users,uid=<username>,gid=<usergroup>"
right after the "defualts,ro" (this is the options column).  Those
options will allow you to mount/umount it and you will be the owner
(of course, you should replace <username> and <usergroup> with your
username/group or user id/group id).
On another point, you do realize you are still running the original
kernel that came with Fedora Core 3, don't you?  You should at least
update the kernel, and if you have not updated anything, you really
need to run updates.  There have been some major bug fixes in, for
example, udev, since the FC3 release.  You can update with up2date,
yum, or apt, whichever you prefer.

Jonathan