networking between fedora and macos

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 06:18:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:06:11 -0500, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 00:56, Jeff Vian wrote:
>

> I advise against using ftp to move files over a wireless network.

I agree.  It is too risky without any overriding need.

Samba is not that hard imo with the gui configuration tools between my
windows work laptop and my home linux laptop it works really well.

But it is also uneeded.

> I always recommend using ssh and scp or another encryption method over
> wireless that is relatively immune from cracking.
> --
> Scot L. Harris
> webid at cfl.rr.com

This is the key.

Mac OSX is like BSD Unix now right?

Linux is that unix-like operating system right?  Or GNU/Linux if
Stallman is listening.  :)

Use the quick and dirty tools at your fingers.

Hit a terminal and just scp files back and forth to your heart's desire.

No fuss.  No muss.  No setup.

You do have to hit the command line but its the easiest option around.

Plus, this is one of those things where the command line is not a bad thing.

A quick and easy one line command is easier than launching an app,
configuring the network shares, and then going through the password
prompt to finally get to the share.   Of course, if you use gnome
there is a SCP to File nautilus script out there if you really don't
want to crack a terminal.