networking between fedora and macos

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jan 16 10:41:07 UTC 2005

On 01/15/2005 09:23:45 PM, Trevor Smith wrote:

> Now, what is the simplest way to actually "network" the two machines?
> Samba? (I hope not, since setting it up would not be what I'd call
> "simple".) Something easier?

This may not be best for your scenario, but for unix networks that
don't need to give/have access to Windows, I do NFS.

I don't have a current OS X install, but OS X PB, 10.0, and 10.1 were
all able to succesfully mount and use an NFS server I had running from
a RH 7.2 box back in the days when I did use OS X.

That's not a good solution for wireless imho (too slow) and there may
be issue if you don't have an NFS box dedicated to be on 24/7

Another possibility that I have used instead of samba is webDAV - you
can have pretty fine grained permissions with webDAV via apache, both
OS X and Linux will mount them as a network volume on the desktop, and
Windows can connect as well, though the Windows client tends to be
slow. In Linux you can use webDAV over https, I had trouble with that
in OS X through the finder, but DAVExplorer (a java program) did it
just fine, in both OS X and Windows.