APM, FC3 and suspend to RAM

E GCP egcp at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 16 16:17:07 UTC 2005

Hi!

Please help me with this problem. There is not much point on a laptop
without some sort of suspend to RAM.

I have a Dell Latitude C840, running  kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3, and default
nvidia drivers from Xorg. I have set acpi=off in grub.conf so it uses APM
instead of ACPI. In this same laptop with RH9 APM (suspend to RAM) worked
great.

OK, so I do Fn+Esc to put the laptop in suspend mode and it goes down fine.
I press the power button to wake the laptop up and it comes up fine as long
as it is in suspend for a short time. If I let the laptop in suspend to RAM
overnight (plugged to the wall), then when I click the power button to wake
it up the CapsLock and Scroll Lock lights just keep flashing, no matter what
I do, until I press the power button again which turns off the laptop
uncleanly.

I checked in /var/log/messages and it doesn't show any problems. It just
shows the laptop going into suspend and then coming up after the unclean
power off.

Is there some sort of log for APM messages? I can't find it. Any help,
pointers, etc. whould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
egcp