Can't get Optra S printer recognized or working.

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Mon Jan 17 02:16:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 19:12 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> I have an HP Laserjet 4plus that works off the parallel port.
> The system-config-printer gui does not automatically see it either.
> I just created a printer definition with the port specified
> as /dev/lp0
> and the proper print driver.  It then worked.

In 2.6.9 kernels with my laptop, the gui did find the device and select
a print driver.  Something in the recent kernels has broken this
functionality.

> There is no need to scan the port.  Parallel and serial devices are
> not
> normally detected by kudzu, either at connection time or when
> disconnected.  In fact AFAIK most hot plug managers do not see these
> type devices.

I think  you are wrong here.  With a 2.6.9 kernel, I was able to get
kudzu to recognize the printer without any problems.  I think the 2.6.10
kernels broke this functionality.

See my resolved post for more info.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.