serial port(COM) and FC2

Jay Moore jaymo at mail.bokler.com
Mon Jan 17 08:32:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 08:29, Wojciech Moczulski wrote:
> Hello there,
> I'm novice at this group and I'd like to say HI to all of you.
>
> I'm writing this post because I've got a little problem.
> I plugged to serial port(COM, RS 232) MIDI module "Sound Canvas 88VL"
> but my FC2 doesn't "see" this one (musical module, of course).What
> should I do in this case? What should be steps in turn?
>  THX for you response, some tips and suggestions in advance.
>                                                  Bemol
>                                                  Poland

I'm certainly not an expert @ t'shooting serial ports, but since no one
else has offered anything yet here goes:

check ownership of /dev/ttyS0. if it's owned by root, you will need to
either be su to use it, or chown it to yourself.

I use minicom for serial comms because it worked the first time I tried
it  :)  start a terminal window, type in "minicom -s", enter your
parameters (9600, 8-N-1, etc, etc), and see if you can talk to something
over the serial port.

HTH,
Jay