DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Jan 17 16:55:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 09:31, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> For most part, various components will use same attributes, so it will
> be usually easy to integrate new stuff with LDAP database.  However,
> having static LDAP setup, that you can put in place and forget about is
> kind of unrealistic.

OK, let's narrow the scope of what I want a little bit. How realistic is
it to ask for a stock server to be included with redhat/fedora installs
that works out-of-the box for all the other included packages?  That is,
pick it as one of the setup choices for both server and client on one
machine and client (or client and replicated server) on all others
and have all of the other packages work, along with other systems that
need only the standard PosixAccount/SambaAccount attributes - without
having to customize anything?

> It is hard to standardize on something extensible.  Anybody (including
> you and me) can add custom attributes and extend standard schemas.  A
> tool that would be used for managing users, would need to be extendible
> too.  It's far more complex that adding a line to /etc/passwd.

Obviously you can't already have something you didn't expect in your
database, but email routing was done years ago and even samba seems
to have settled down as of the 3.0 release.  I think this could and
should have been done several years ago.  If someone wants to customize
the schema they still could, of course, but once you have a large
installed base people might think harder about re-using the stock
attributes instead of making up new names for the same things.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com