What microsoft has to say about XP

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Tue Jan 18 14:15:35 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>I think that more people mould move away from WIndows if they read the notices
>on the microsoft website:
>"The simple act of visiting an Internet site can be extremely damaging to the
>system"
>
>from:
>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_security_whynot_admin.mspx
>
>Important to note that the article quoted's purpose is to convince the user to
>create and use a standard account, and not the system's default Administrator
>account. What this means is that the system's default beaviour is to make the
>simple act of visiting an internet site extremely damaging to the system. Why
>on earth would people use such an OS?

    And how does this differ from the warnings against logging into
Linux as ROOT?  The only difference that I see is in the fact that most
malicious web content is (at the moment) directed at Windows.  Don't get
me wrong;  I carry no love for Microsquat or for Windows, but if you are
going to criticise, at least pick an issue which doesn't apply to both
sides.  As my buddy Joe Friday used to say, "Only the names were changed
to protect the guilty."
    Cheers,
Gordon Keehn