cat5e laptop-to-laptop?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Jan 18 16:38:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:57:48 -0400,
  Trevor Smith <trevor at haligonian.com> wrote:
> Can I take two computers (laptops both) and plug them together directly
> from one nic to another with a "standard" ethernet cable? Or do I need
> a crossover cable or something to do that? And if I have the correct
> cable, will the two machines do some sort of peer-to-peer networking
> more or less automagically or will it be difficult to set up? One runs
> FC2, the other Mac OS X 10.3.7.

There is some networking equipment that can detect the type of connection,
but most likely you will need a crossocer cable.
You can either set up the machines to use a point to point connection
or configure them to have different addresses on the same subnet. Doing
the latter is probably easier with FC.