Thunderbird new mail sound

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Tue Jan 18 18:11:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

Has anyone had problems with TB new mail sound? I just can't get it to
work. I'm using KDE, and sound works great for most things. I've tried
adjusting the new mail sound in Gnome and then switch back to KDE, but
it didn't work. I also tried setting different sounds through TB Tools
--> Options --> General --> "when new mail arrives" to different custom
sounds, but none worked. So, in summary, I can't get TB to play any
sounds at all!

A possibly related problem is that I can't get any sound from xmms
either. It seems to be playing, the progress bar moves as if playing,
the display bars jump up-and-down normally, but no sound.

Does anybody has any suggestions? (please let me know what extra
information might be helpful.)
 I'm using:
FC3,
kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3smp,