Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 18 20:36:20 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 05:08, Tony Dietrich wrote:
[...]
>> Ok, I'll compromise, on the next go-round (read that as FC4) that
>> the man pages can be made readable, from the installers only
>> screen since a ctl+_alt+F2 only gets you a blank screen at that
>> point in the install.  We *know* how to make fdisk work, and it
>> makes perfect sense in what it tells you, so why not make it
>> available instead of making us all into windows idiots against our
>> will?  theres never been a windows install around here, and never
>> will be.
>>
>> >--
>> >Matthew Miller           mattdm at mattdm.org
>> > <http://www.mattdm.org/> Boston University Linux      ------>
>> >          <http://linux.bu.edu/>
>>
>> --
>
>Gene ...
>
>Did you select 'Manually configure' and take a look at the options?

Yes, and none of them made any sense in terms of what I wanted to do.
It did not show me at *any* time, the partitions that already existed
on that disk, and that were fully, 100% bootable if I had removed the
cd and hit the reset button at that point.

>Just a query ... some of your answers made it sound like you hadn't
> gone down that route.

Yes I did go down that route.  And I read good (american) english but
couldn't seem to grok that screen at all.  I at least expect the tool
to show me whats there, in a comprehendable format, if indeed there
is anything pre-existing.  And there was a full FC2 install on it
when I started.  But it wouldn't show me anything that I didn't
enter.  And not recalling the exact geometry, I canceled out of it
and gave up.  I didn't want to lose what I had, but of course I did.

I used to think, back about rh5.2 or 6.0, that DD was showing promise
of being a useable program eventually, but IMO its only gone downhill
from there.

>The Auto option is dreadful, as IMHO it doesn't explain clearly
> enough to the novice what it is about to do.  Fine for a novice who
> doesn't want to know all about partitions, but that same novice
> needs to know that he's about to wipe out his Windows installation
> too .. spelt out in LARGE EASY WORDS!

Damned betcha.

>But the Manual option allows me to retain everything *I* want, and
> make sure items are where I want them.  Only ever needed to drop to
> fdisk when I wanted to do something weird.

All I ever wanted was to do it my way, preserving what I had, WHERE I
had it.

But right now, unless I can backup some of what I've written for a
driver for BDI-Live, I'm not touching that machine with another
fedora disk, I've got too much time in that part of it now.  If I do
anything, it will be on a fresh drive, so I have the old one to
recover from.  Backing it up isn't a big deal though.  I can setup an
amanda client on it in half an hour, but its rarely on when amanda
runs in the wee hours.  rsync is probably the best bet.  Then take
that old noisy WD 46GB drive down and play with it as hda.

But not tonight, I need to run up to Bridgeport & see about some
nickle-print paint. I have some truely jurrasic (nearly 50 years old)
16 watt bulk carbon resistors to see if I can fix.  Half inch
diameter solid carbon rods, about 3.5" long, with some sort of
metalic plating on the ends so they fit in 30 amp fuse holder clips.
I think the plating is failing as they are creeping up in value just
enough to unbalance a pair of 3CX2500 tubes about 30%.  Needless to
say, they are made out of absolutely 100% pure unobtainium in the
year 2005.  The last production run at IRC was probably back in the
middle 1960's.  Carbon normally has a pretty big negative tempco, but
these are showing a huge positive amount.  Bring a 6.3 up to 100F and
its over 7.0 ohms.  Not good.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)