Conflicts with new packages? (NetworkManager and wireless-tools)

David Hoffman dhoffman_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 23:47:57 UTC 2005

--- Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 12:57 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > David Hoffman wrote:
> > > So the NEW NetworkManager requires a file that is only provided
> by the
> > > OLD wireless-tools. And that means that both files cannot be
> upgraded
> > > to the most recent released versions.
> >
> > Hm, haven't noticed that one, but that is probably because I got
> rid of
> > NetworkManager some time ago.
> >
> > Are you actually using functionality provided by NetworkManager?
> If
> > not, remove it and update wireless-tools (if you have wireless in
> the
> > box, if not get rid of that one too).  If you are actually using
> > NetworkManager features, you'll have to wait until this dependency
> > problem is resolved (I wouldn't be surprised to see update for
> > NetworkManager as soon as today or tommorow, but you never know, it
>
> > might take longer).  There's no workaround.  Forcing the update of
> > wireless-tools would likely cause NetworkManager to stop
> functioning.
>
> NetworkManager isn't the only conflicting package, I believe
> kdenetwork
> clashes too.

Actually, I saw a note from the developer of NetworkManager earlier in
bugzilla, stating that he is working on rebuilding it against the new
version of libiw.so.28 and should have that out in the next day or two.

But more importantly, is the first issue... I have never tried
NetworkManager and honestly don't know what it does. This is a new box
that was just built a few days ago and when I tried to do a yum update
I found the conflict. I don't use wireless in this system, but I can't
remove wireless-tools because of the file dependency. But since my
system seems to be running fine without NetworkManager running, I may
just take them both out altogether.

David