Understanding Sendmail/Cyrus-imap installation... AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed Jan 19 14:58:41 UTC 2005

Mark Weaver wrote:
> Ok...fair enough and you're right. I didn't RTFM. :) Which leads me to
> another question just popping up. Will the old user mailbox files
> migrate easily to the new cyrus-imap mailboxes or are they in a
> different format.

Instructions for mass migration could be found in O'Reilly book
"Managing IMAP".  Online version also available:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/chapter/ch09.html#92594

Note that those instructions are optimized for case when you need to
migrate (tens/hundreds of) thousands of users at once (either to or from
Cyrus).  For your ten users, some steps could probably be made faster or
simpler.

The stuff in /usr/share/doc/cyrus-imapd-* is also worth reading.

> As for cyrus admin... it didn't seem to get installed or didn't install
> correctly because I was getting a perl error upon attempting to initiate
> cyradm.

It would be helpful if you cut&paste the error message you got.  Without
it, nobody can really help you.  Cyradm from Fedora's cyrus-imapd-utils
RPM worked for me out-of-the-box on each and every system I installed
(and this is really all that I or anybody else can tell you without
seeing that error message).