Services

markf no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 19 15:14:47 UTC 2005

Fedora Core 3 seems to have a lot of services running in the default configuration.  Which of these are safe to deactivate?  I've got FC3 set up on an old PII 400 with very little memory, so I'd like to eliminate whatever's not necessary.

Specifically, it safe to disable the following:
readahead
sendmail
xinetd
cpuspeed
nfs_lock
rpc*

This box wont be using NFS at all, and I can't see any reason why sendmail should be running on anything other than a dedicated mailserver.  xinetd similarly seems useless on a desktop computer.

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org