NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jan 20 00:18:22 UTC 2005

Chris Adams writes:

> Once upon a time, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> said:
>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:14:36 -0600, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
>> > I have a couple of systems with Radeon 9200 (RV280) that have good 3D
>> > support under xorg though (and these can be had cheap in OEM versions
>> > now).
>>
>> Just curious, but what kind of performance do you get with one of
>> these?  (the 9200)  I'm not sure what kind of metrics there are on
>> Linux.  About the only one I know of is glxgears.  What kind of frame
>> rates do you get with that?  For comparison, my GeForce 440 Go with
>> the nvidia driver gets about 1700 fps at 1280x800 (screen res, window
>> is normal size) at 24 bit.
>
> I assume you mean running glxgears in its default size window (which
> appears to be 300x300).  On my Radeon 9200 (with 128M DDR SDRAM) with
> xorg-x11-6.7.0-11 (FC2 system) at 1152x864 and 24 bit color depth, I get
> 2182 fps.  The only change from the default that I have done is to add:
>
>         Option      "AGPMode" "4"
>         Option      "AGPFastWrite" "on"
>         Option      "EnablePageFlip" "on"
>
> in my Device section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (I only do 4x AGP because my
> mboard is too old to support 8x).
>
> This is an OEM board that I picked up cheap from an on-line place last
> spring.  It has VGA, S-Video/composite, and DVI outputs; I'm looking
> forward to the new version of xorg-x11 that I think is going to have
> direct rendering enabled in dual-head mode.

And my laptop has a Radeon 9000 M9.  glxgears churns at around 2168 FPS at
the resolution of 1400x1050 at 16 bits.

So, boys and girls, here's what you need to do.  Go out and buy a bunch of
Radeons.  Make sure to fill out and return the warranty card.  Write clearly
that your operating system is Linux.

So, even if glxgears isn't really a perfect test of performance.  So what if
a more productive benchmark, such a quake, show the Radeon getting four or
five FPSes less than NVidia?  Big deal.  A few FPSes, in exchange for
something that works out of the box, without screwing around with fragile
proprietary code and having to issue magic spells and sacrificing a pair of
chickens every time I upgrade the kernel, is definitely a good bargain.