Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Jan 20 02:50:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 23:45 +0100, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 04:15:02PM -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> >
> > there it is NOT available to the novice who just follows the bouncing
> > ball thru the screens.
>
> fdisk should not be used by a "novice who just follows the bouncing
> ball thru the screens". Under any circumstances.
> I've guided people through it on the phone but leaving them on their
> own is evil, plain and simple.
>
> Emmanuel

I agree, but that hardly means either you or I will be available to
guide all new users.  Where fdisk is at present requires at least a tiny
clue to get to it.

As I understand it, the extreme power and ease of destroying a drives
partitions inadvertently was part of the reason for taking it out of the
install menus.  I also think they intended to make it as easy for a
brain dead or inexperienced user to install as Winblows is by removing
things that require a clue to select properly from the process, which is
why autopartition is one of the choices.

I am comfortable with the ability to make choices, but I do not want the
install process for linux to become as rigid and clueless as we see in
Microsoft (and Microsoft compatible) products.