fedora-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 113

Lloyd Hayes lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 04:04:48 UTC 2005

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:26:34 -0500 (EST)
> From: Andrew Blechman <blechman at pha.jhu.edu>
> Subject: installation problems
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> Hello.
> I am relatively new to Linux and decided that I would use my old computer
> to play around with it.  It is an AMD K6-3 400MHz machine.  I have been
> trying to install various Linux platforms, and none of them work!  I have
> used Redhat in the past so I decided to try Fedora Core 3; but when I
> insert the CD it gives me the boot screen, and after pressing the enter
> key it just goes to a black screen with a flashing curser.  I'm pretty
> sure the CD's are okay (I downloaded them) since I tried the same thing on
> my newer computer and it went to the installation page without a hitch.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm starting to get very frustrated with all
> the failed attempts.  I've tried Knoppix and SuSE, and they don't work
> either.  The only one that worked was DSL, but I'd rather have something
> a little better.  Also, DSL seems to only be a CD boot, and I wanted to
> put it on my hard drive.
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help me!

While I am sure that someone has answered this by now, the answer is
simple. Not enough memory!

You must have over 256 MB of RAM for FC3, SUSE 9.1 or above, and Knoppix
3.4 or above. I have an 8 year old Gateway laptop with a 233 MHz P1
processor. After I brought the memory up to 256 MB, all versions
mentioned worked fine. (SUSE is touchy around laptops. It sometimes
works.)

--
Lloyd Hayes <lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com>