Mouse and KVM

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jan 20 04:12:22 UTC 2005

David Mamanakis writes:

> I have a half dozen machines and I am working up to getting them all installed
> with FC3.
> I have my server up an running, even if I still don't have all the settings
> turned on for the services...very different from Windows...
>
> The problem I am having is this...
> I have a set of KVM switches, and every time I go away from the Linux machine,
> the MOUSE stops working...very frustrating...
>
> Is there some way I can keep the mouse operational when I move off the Linux
> machines to other machines with the KVM, or is there a simple way to "restart"
> the mouse when I come back to the Linux machine?
>
> Thanks for any help!

This glitch is with your KVM hardware.  It is your KVM switch's
responsibility to be completely transparent; so that the connected servers
aren't even aware of its existence.  There's just one exception: only the
server that's currently active will obviously be able to autoprobe the
monitor's plug-and-pray configuration.

Except for that, you will have to direct any compatibility issues to the
KVM's manufacturer.