Crashing in stand by mode

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Thu Jan 20 14:16:54 UTC 2005

Helena Carlsson wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I am using a FC3 machine with latest kernel
>(2.6.10-1.741-FC3). Its works fine, but after a while
>when I don't use my system the monitor goes into stand
>by mode its light start blinking which is normal.
>Recently, when it goes into stand by mode and when I
>press any key to return it into active mode it just
>stays into stand by mode and I have to restart the
>system manually by turning off the system. Maybe it
>crashes or maybe it just stayed into stand by mode and
>the system works and not crashed. The screen saver is
>also disabled and also power saving options. One more
>thing is that when I wanted to turn off screen saver
>it showed a warning windows and said that XScreenSaver
>daemon is not launched and when I clicked on OK to
>launch it another error windows said that launching
>xscreensaver wasn't successful. Does it make any sense
>?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Helena

Helena, I had very similar experience with a RH 8 system (except I did
not try to disable the XScreenSaver).  Changing the screensaver timing
options seemed to help a little for a while but the system resumed
"locking up".  By "locking up" I mean that screen, mouse, keyboard were
all disabled to the user and the only way to recover any control was to
either hit the system reset switch or the power on/off switch.

I solved the problem by replacing the monitor.