Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Erich Noll enoll1 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 20 19:46:26 UTC 2005

>Gene Heskett said:
>I'm going to see if I can repeat the install yet today, and get the
>same out of space error again at the top of cd disk 2.

Gene, please do us a favor:  if and when you get the "out of space" error,
boot back up with rescue and check the /root/install.log .  I'll bet you
will see an error message indicating a problem OTHER THAN "out of
space" because the installer seems to group certain I/O errors and
memory errors together, and pops up that error window you see.

I personally had to try at least 5 times to install FC3, finally selecting the
desktop config and de-selecting many large packages like openoffice,
evolution, gaim, etc. in order to get past what appeared to be a memory
error.  I even swapped known-good memory DIMMs at one point.  By the
way, I was able to successfully install the de-selected packages from the
same media after I finally got the trimmed-down desktop config installed.
My media passed the mediacheck every time.  My memory passed the
memtest86 every time.

It seems like whatever is running to install from the CDs is a LOT more
sensitive to errors than the linux system it installs.  It would be nice if
the installer would allow you to retry when an error occurred, or perhaps
back-out the failed package then tell you at the end to re-install the failed
ones.

Just my $.02 .