Dell Inspiron XPS: system consistently freezes using ATI Radeon Mobility 9800 & FC3

Andrew Couture relics_rage at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 21 02:40:22 UTC 2005

Hello there....you are not alone. The screen freezing with the
Dell XPS laptop happens with FC3.I now have gentoo with xorg 6.8 and
kernel 2.6.10 on it right now, and sadly it exhibits the same problems
as FC3. I loaded Fedora 2 and then Gentoo with xorg 6.7 and have not
experienced the screen lockups. For me, the lockups seem to happen when
I resize a terminal window, or open a new tab on browser or some small
mouse movement. I too am at a loss.... I have not been able to catch
what is causing this. My keyboard locks up, cnrt,alt,del cnrt,alt,bckspc
cnrt, alt fn1.2.3.4 gets no response, but the big power button does. I
do notice though, just before it freezes, the fan speed tends picks up
in speed and sound. I am currently building a new kernel without
apm/acpi..(pwr/green options).
The ATI driver for gentoo wasnt that easy to install, but not up to
1920x1200. The ati drivers were easier to install on FC3, but sadly not
up to 1920x1200 either. This laptop is great...but still miss the nvidia
hardware :)
If I am lucky and find the cause, it will be posted.

"i bang my head against the wall....because it feels good when i stop"
- a relic's quote-