Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1 - FC3 Install

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 04:32:02 UTC 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Wednesday 19 January 2005 21:36, Jeff Vian wrote:

>I grabbed this one just to follow the thread, Jeff.
>
>Anyway, I now have a repeat install failure, on the same file it
>upchucked over before I believe, this time while doing a full
>automatic install on /dev/hdb.
>
>>From the installer screen:
>
>There was an error installing openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-10.  This can
>indicate media failure, lack of disk space and/or hardware problems.
>This is a fatal error and your install will be aborted.  Please
>verify your media and try your install again.
>
>>From the end of the /mnt/sysimage/root/install.log:
>
>error: unpacking of archive failed on
>file /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/resource/svx64508.res; 41f03elf: cpio:
>MD5SUM mis-match.
>
>There didn't seem to be anything related to that in
>the /mnt/sysimage/root/install.log.syslog.
>
>Now, this all points to a bum cd, but its been md5sum'd several times
>now.  Chances are than a restart will work.  Maybe.  Its failed 2 out
>of three times through this loop now.  I'll see if an older burner I
>have will fit without having to hack up the face of the box with a
>hacksaw tomorrow, it was working just fine in this box when I took it
>out to make room for a dvd burner last spring.

At risk of adding to the list "noise" factor, this relatively
linux-ignorant newbie to the list wants to make a reiterate a point made
earlier on a different thread line.

I tried three times to install FC-3 on a new 80 Gbyte WD hard drive
relying on the installer's automatic disk partitioning facility before
giving up and falling back to FC-2.  Each attempt progressed a little
further before it simply stalled.  On the third try, the last thing
displayed on the installer screen indicated that it was installing
OpenOffice.org.  Something over 15 minutes later I pushed the reset
button next to the power switch.

Then I tried FC-2 which installed  smoothly and uneventfully.  Since I
still wanted at that time to install FC-3 I tried upgrading the FC-2
installation to an FC-3 system using the same FC-3 CDs I had used in
trying to install FC-3 from scratch.  That worked and FC-3 installed
uneventfully.   (I have since wiped out that installation and
re-installed FC-2 because I did not care for the FC-3 desktop, was
having difficulty connecting with my ISP, and wanted to stick with the
CUPS printing system. )

The FC-3 installation ISOs I used were downloaded to, check sumed,
burned on CDs and the CDs check sumed on my old RH 8 system.  The CDs
were check sumed again  in the first installation attempt on the new
hard disk.  The fact that they were suitable for upgrading an FC-2
system to FC-3 suggests to me that they are not "bad CDs".  Rather, it
seems more probable that something is amiss in the installation program
when it is called upon for a complete install that includes disk
partitioning and/or Grub installation.  That "amiss" might be in
Anaconda or Disk Druid or the interface between the two.

I do not have any error messages or system logs to share with you, but
my experience lends support to what Gene (and some others) have been saying.

FWIW, my system is built on a Gigabyte GA-7VAX motherboard with 256MB
PC3200 DDR400 ram, AMD Athalon 2100 processor, 80 GB Western Digital
hard drive, one CDR, one CDRW, 3.5" floppy.

My system consists of