Convert WMA to OGG ???

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 21 08:28:34 UTC 2005

On Friday 21 January 2005 02:12, Patrick wrote:
>Can anybody give me any advice on how to convert WMA audio files to
> OGG??
>
>I have a collegue who's using Windows XP and wants to switch to
> Linux (yeah!). Unfortunately he has 20gig on WMA files which he
> would like to convert to OGG.
>
>To solve this, I have be using Google (my best friend) and couldn't
> find an easy way. Except converting it first to wave (using
> mplayer) and converting it back to ogg. If you have 10 - 20 files,
> it is a possibility, but not with 20gig...
>
>Under Windows he tried it with a commercial package (luckily not
> paid for *cough*)... But under Linux, it appears that there is no
> real software package that can do it... strange...
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Regards,
>PatrickM

Generally speaking, your friend will be far better off sonicly, to
re-rip the music from the disks.  I don't think he would be at all
impressed with the results of such a 'conversion'.

Each compression method has its own list of stuff it can throw away
without being noticed by the ear, and when you add what ogg throws
out to what WMA (or mp3) throws out, the result isn't usually smaller
files, but audio thats mushy and quite tiresome to listen to.

I made some comparison files from some of my disks, both with a
commercial shareware encoder for making mp3's and with the ogg
method.  To me the obvious winner at any comparable bit rate was ogg,
and at quality level 6, its very very difficult to tell the ogg from
the original, at Q7 there is no discernable difference, and I can
listen to it all night with no fatigue whatsoever. I don't have more
than 20 megs of mp3's in my own collection of about 2.5 gigs. and it
sure beats lugging a 20+ pound cd holder around and getting it
stolen.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)