NVIDIA driver *taints* kernel???

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Jan 21 09:37:37 UTC 2005

This issue (IMO) is a very delicate one (despite the taint)... simply
because to some people it will give them the creeps to think of having a
single piece of proprietary software in their systems... I'm not against
proprietary (if by that we understand comercial too) software on my
system, as long as it gets the job done. Sure I'd rather use free
software (free as in freedom) than proprietary. Still the Open Source
model is generating a shift in people's perception of how software could
be developed, delivered, deployed and more importantly used. In this
regard in particular, besides being one of the areas where Linux needs
more support, mainly from the manufacturers and possibly vendors to
broaden hardware support, consumer hardware at that, and whether we like
it or not, 3D graphics cards fall into this category (from low2mid
range) because often lower-end graphics solutions from the leading
companies rely on virtually the same hardware as their top notch
top-of-the line products counterparts (G6600/X600). The way I see it,
companies have two options: a) Either they provide the drivers
themselves (which has been the case for 3D graphics cards from nVidia
and ATi, heck even Matrox) or b) they provide as much information as
they can (without violating any treatees they could have with third
party technology providers... S3TC, anyone?) so the community could
write pure Open Sourced drivers which will obviously lack both: features
and performance. These two later "side-effects" may not be a problem for
those users to whom proprietary, closed-sourced software gives them
goosebumps, but may lure away from Linux users who are willing to
consider the system as their primary OS. I could not say for sure, but I
estimate that a great deal (most?) of the home desktop owners also at
some point do some gaming (which would justify at least support for the
low2medium range products), where as on corporate desktops that would
not be of any relevance, and full 2D power may still be required.

Sadly, in the way our society has been modeled, mass success and
pedantic purity are mutually exclusive (refering to pure OSS and mass
addoption)... For some even the price appeal of OSS is not enough to
make the switch, if they're not assured that they will still be able to
use their computer as they are used to... It is difficult to keep
everyone happy... and in that regard Linux and the broad range of
distributions is a belssing.

My 2¢