Installing Maple 9.5 on Fedore Core 3

Neil Hodge nhodge at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 13:54:40 UTC 2005

All:

No one need reply to this; I am just documenting my solution in our ad
hoc knowledgebase, so that the next time I (or others) need it, it will
be here.

When trying to install Maple 9.5 on a system running Fedora Core 3, the
install cd initially comes up with all of the OSX install files; this
did not happen in Fedora Core 2.  This is due to the fact that fstab is
mounting the file system type "auto" for the cdrom drive.  For this cd,
that gets translated to "hfs".  Note that this cd contains OSX,
Linux/Unix, and Windows installs.  To fix this, you need to manually
unmount the cd, and then mount it manually using the filesystem type
"iso9660".

I don't know if mount chooses hfs because the OSX partition/session is
located first on the cd, or because "hfs" is alphabetically before
"iso9660".  As such, this effect may or may not occur with other cd's
with OSX and/or Linux/Unix and/or Windows partitions/sessions.

Neil