FC 3 rescue source

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 21 18:10:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:53:18AM -0800, Bob Lacey wrote:

>    The reason I'm interested in sources for FC3 rescue CD is that I'd
>    like to build a minimalist (text-only, no X, no GNOME) rescue CD
>    with the ability to update all the necessary components as
>    updates become available. That's why I'm looking.

See the man page for mkisofs.

       "pathspec is the path of the directory tree to be copied into
       the iso9660 filesystem.  Multiple paths can be specified, and
       mkisofs will merge the files found in all of the specified path
       components to form the cdrom image.

       "If the option -graft-points has been specified, it is possible
       to graft the paths at points other than the root directory, and
       it is possible to graft files or directories onto the cdrom
       image with names different than what they have in the source
       filesystem.  This is easiest to illustrate with a couple of
       examples.  Let’s start by assuming that a local file
       ../old.lis exists, and you wish to include it in the cdrom
       image."

>    I  am  willing  to  roll my own by stripping the ISO, but if an easier
>    method exists,  I'd prefer to take the path of minimal effort.

It should be simple and sane to take the original, mount it and copy
all the files from it into a working dir or dirs.   Add, replace,
edit or remove files as you wish.  Then burn a CD.

Give special attention to the flags needed to make a CD boot (some of
the files hidden in compressed images in the boot process will need
looking at).

This building from the existing CD seems to me to be the minimalist
path.  The RH build process would exist within the much much larger
build process for ALL the CDROMs and DVD so you would need to do a lot
more work from that starting point, IMO.

I can see many places where rebuilding a disk makes sense.  The most
obvious is the situation where a device unknown or unstable at the
time of release becomes important to a site: network, disk (firewire),
display, filesystem code...  A site admin could update and test his
rescue and install disks then deploy the new hardware+SW with ease.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.