Using Red hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) at home

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jan 22 01:24:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:06:15AM -0600, Nick Miller wrote:
> Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>
> >troyston campano wrote:
> >
> >>I know you usually pay for them, but if you don't want support,
> >>documentation or anything like that and don't have a RHN account is
> >>there a way to get a copy of a RHEL ISO for home use only?
> >

> >There are couple of "clone" distribution, for example White Box, Tao
> >Linux, and/or Centos.  They are basically identical to RHEL3 (all
> >packages are built from RHEL3 SRPMs).
> >
> >You can also download for free beta version of RHEL4 from Red Hat's
> >web site.  Versions of packages in RHEL3 are quite old, so if you want
> >something newer, might be a way to go (although if you want to test
> >installing commercial package <insert name here> on RHEL, you probably
> >want RHEL3 or clone since that is what most of them support).
> >

> How well does CentOS and other RHEL clones stack up toe the real thing.
> Do people use them as production enviornment replacements? I have often
> wondered.
TAO was created for the purpose of running a group (I believe, but do not
know for certain, a fairly large group) of servers/workstations. I use
it at home, and I have two of them at work in parallel with several
RHEL boxes. to be honest, except for the different graphics and the use
of yum for system updates instead of up2date, I can't tell the difference.

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996