FC3 rescue CD source?

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sat Jan 22 21:34:05 UTC 2005

On Friday 21 January 2005 03:24, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 17:36 -0500, Matt Morgan wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:19:58 -0600, David Hoffman
> >
> > <dhoffman2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What's wrong with downloading the Rescue CD ISO Image and just booting
> > > from that?
> > >
> > > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/FC3-
> > >i386-rescuecd.iso
> >
> > Sounds like the OP wants to add to it? I'm guessing he wants extra
> > utilities or something. Porbably that's presumptuous of me, but I'll
> > go on ...
> >
> > Maybe I misunderstand the question, but you should be able to download
> > the iso, mount it with that loopback trick (I don't remember it, but
> > google or search this list's archive for "mount iso image") and edit
> > in place if you want to change some files, etc. on it. Then when you
> > burn the iso to the CD, it'll have your new files on it.
>
> That won't work because an ISO filesystem, even when loopback-mounted,
> is not writable. You'd have to copy the files out of the ISO filesystem,
> do whatever mods you wanted and then make a new ISO and burn it, being
> careful to ensure it's still bootable.

Yes, this is exactly what you need to do.  Once you have the updated files,
you can create an updated image with something like:

mkisofs -J -R -v -T -o /destination/rescuecd.iso \
-b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat \
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table .

The is an earlier post which points to
http://www.techonthenet.com/linux/fc2_update.htm
This tells how to rebuild an entire (updated) distribution which should
include an updated rescuecd.iso.

However, one question I have (which maybe some anaconda guru could answer) is:

Is there is a "short-circuit" way of invoking the anaconda scripts to just
produce the rescuecd.iso?

--
Gene