Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Jan 22 22:08:45 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 15:48, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> As a matter of interest I tried this ("linux askmethod")
> but it didn't appear to have any effect.
> When I reached the choice of method NFS was listed
> (this is what I wanted to try)
> but I was unable to choose it -
> if I did, it simply returned at once to the same choices.
> (All that I was able to choose was Local CD or Hard disk.)
>
> I assume the reason is that I had no IP connection at that moment.
> In fact I have only one PMCIA slot,
> and that was occupied by the CD reader.
>
> Is it in fact possible to install over the net in this case?

Probably not.  Can you use boot from a USB pen drive so you
can leave the network connection in place?  The /images/diskboot.img
file on the install CD can be used that way.   I've done this
using an old compact flash card from a camera in a USB card
reader.  If you have lots of disk space on the machine you can
copy the isos onto a vfat or ext3 partition that you can keep,
and do a hard disk install instead.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com